Friday, August 22, 2014

What About EDM 310? Blog Post #1

When I first heard that I had to take EDM 310 as part of my curriculum; I had no clue what that meant. I started asking fellow education majors what they had heard about the class and if they had taken EDM 310. I was soon filled in on what this class was and what to expect. Everyone told me that at first it was a little overwhelming but over time the class and it's assignments got easier. I was encouraged not to get behind on any assignments. I was told that if I got behind on my assignments that it would most definitely spell disaster for me and my grade. Overall, however, classmates explained that if I stay on top of my game I will be fine and that I will learn a lot of interesting skills during my experience.

I guess my biggest fear about EDM 310 is getting behind on my assignments. I am a full time student and work between 20 and 30 hours a week. Time is something I have to keep up with and I have to discipline myself to make every hour of my day count. In the past, time management has never been a strong point for me. So far this semester, I have taken an initiative to realize the value of my time and have been successful with my time management.
clock

Compared to other classes I have taken in the past, EDM 310 is most definitely different and more fast paced. I enjoy this though. It gets me out of bed early to go to the computer lab rather than procrastinating until the last minute to type out a paper or read an assigned reading. Also, I have never had the type of support system that EDM 310 offers either. I think that without lab assistants my life would be a lot harder right now. Although they don't do my work for me, it makes me feel better about myself and my work because they are there to guide me and let me know that I am not (for lack of a better word) an IDIOT, and completely on the wrong path with my assignments.

As I stated before, I am not great with my time management. This is my biggest fear of all. Although I have started off on the right foot this past week, I know that assignments in my other classes will require a lot of my time as well. What I have found to be the best way to address this issue is to come to the computer lab and stay until my assignment is completed. This keeps me from the distractions at home that sometimes get the best of me and my time. It is very easy to begin a different task such as washing dishes, doing laundry, or even watching t.v. when in the comfort of your own home. Furthermore, the lab assistants aren't on house call and without their help, I would not be as confident in my work. Hopefully, as long as I continue on the path I am currently on, I will prevail and pass this course with an A.

I do have a question about smart board. I was wondering if we would learn to use one in this class or if that would be something we cover in a later education class? I know that the smart board is essential in the classroom now and I have no clue how to use one. If not, I hope we will learn to use one before we graduate.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Marcus,
    I like how you stayed very positive when talking about the challenges of this class. Time management will definitely be a huge component when working on assignments. I agree that going to the lab and getting help from the lab assistants is the best route to take. However, I believe that you should always be confident in your work no matter what. Don't hold back in your posts and don't be afraid to try new things. Overall great blog post, I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you will learn how to use a SMARTboard. But I am not a SMARTboard enthusiast. It is not the powerful educational tool that remains in the hands of a learner. Baldwin County has done it correctly: individual tools for all learners. These tools also are effective in collaborative work as well. And they travel with you.

    Welcome to EDM310!

    ReplyDelete